My name is Elizabeth Vines, and I am a 39-year-old Breast Cancer Survivor.
To this day whenever I tell people that I 'had' cancer, I know that most people think I must have a family history of cancer because it’s just impossible to think young people could get such a horrible disease. Well that could not be further from the truth. Only 20% of breast cancer is considered hereditary, the other 80% are just your average women like myself. I'm married to a wonderful man for the last 14 years, and have an amazing 8-year-old son.
In the weeks leading up to being diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I knew something wasn't right with my body. While I couldn't quite identify what it was, I could tell something was off – something was very different. A long-time fitness instructor and a healthy, active 37 year-old, the 20 pounds that I had quickly gained didn't seem logical, and on top of that, it seemed like one side of my stomach was bloating out more than the other.
Tiffany Nardella was just 35 years old when she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
After college, I worked for a few years in the sexual health field with an emphasis on women's health. Since I had a heightened awareness of women's health issues, I took special care to make sure I had my annual exams and knew my own body.
People with cancer want to do everything they can to combat the disease, manage its symptoms, and cope with the side effects of treatment. Many turn to practices known collectively as CAM(complementary and alternative medicine)—for example, botanical (herbal) and other dietary supplements, acupuncture, massage, and yoga.
"Each of us who has made the journey through the foreign country of cancer has our own story. My journey of two bouts with breast cancer changed my life forever. I learned to speak up for myself, to discover my own special gifts, to deepen my spirituality and belief in the body-mind-spirit connection