Jack O Lantern Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin and chocolate chips a great pairing for Halloween. Add some strategically placed chips when the cookies come out of the oven for eyes, then drizzle the glaze to look like blood and guts.
2 1/4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
grated zest of 1 orange,
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer set on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugars. Scrape down the sides of the bowl,
3. then add the pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and orange zest, beating well to blend.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients, beating well to blend. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
5. Using a tablespoon scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake on the middle oven rack for about 18 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheets 5 minutes before transferring to racks to cool.
6. While the cookies are still warm, press two chocolate chips into the cookie to make eyes for the pumpkin.
Stir together the sugar, milk and vanilla until the glaze is smooth.
Split into two dishes add food color (red for blood, green for guts,)
Decorate for Ghoulish fun! Mu HAAAAA MU HAAAa!
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract