Bread pudding comes in many different variations..
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter ( cooking spray can be substituted)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 lbs spinach,
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 medium garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup) (find a Blue that has a heavy marbling for better flavor)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions,
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ( 10 - 15 turns on a pepper mill)
- 11/2 pound sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Brush a shallow, oval baking dish (about 12 by 7 inches) with butter. ( cooking spray)
Spinach: In a large sauté pan, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add the spinach and sauté until spinach is wilted.
Prepare Pudding: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the garlic paste and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just golden. Stir in the cream and Blue Cheese and bring to a boil. Stir in scallions and spinach and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, gradually whisk the Roquefort spinach cream sauce into the eggs. Add salt and pepper, stir in the bread cubes and let stand until the cream is absorbed, about 5 minutes
Bake: Spoon the bread pudding mixture into the pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 - 40 minutes or until it is set and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and let sit for 5 minutes.